You are Exercising regularly and taking a balanced diet but ignoring your sleeping hours; then I must say that all of your efforts are in vain. There are many reasons for sleep deprivation like workload, overthinking, sleeping at odd hours, and many more. On average, an adult should rest for at least 7 hours a day.
While sleeping, your body heals itself and restores all the chemical imbalance in your body. In a nutshell, sleep deprivation can lead to lower quality of life.
Symptoms You Are Sleep Deprived
Sleep plays a crucial role in the effective functioning of your body. Here are few symptoms which show you are not taking proper sleep.
- Fatigue whole day
- Persistent yawning
- No or less attention
- Lack of energy
- Worsened memory
- Risky decision making
- Mood swings
Effects Of Not Sleeping
Spending night tossing and turning, you know, the next day problems- tired, swollen eyes and out of sorts. But if this pattern continues for many days, then it will become your worst enemy. The long-term effects of not sleeping are real. It completely drains your mental ability.
- Memory Issues- Lack of sleep can affect both long-term and short-term memory. During sleep, your brain refreshes and makes space for new things.
- Lack Of Concentration- You usually have noticed that the night you take less sleep the next day, you find it difficult to concentrate. Sleep deprivation disrupts your thinking and concentration. Even your creativity, problem-solving skills are not up to the mark.
- Mood Swings- You frequently feel angry, even on small issues. You become a moody, emotional, and quick-tempered personality. You feel more anxious or depressed.
- Weekend Immunity- The defense system of your body also works slow when you don’t take proper sleep. Viruses can infect you easily.
- Weight Gain- Your cravings for sugar and transfat increase when you are sleep-deprived. The chemicals that give a signal to our brain completely go out of rails.
- Low Sex Drive- Lack of sleep leads to a decrease in the level of testosterone which decreases the sex drive in males. It also lowers the libido.
- The Risk Of Cardiovascular Diseases- These are the diseases that are related to your heart. This is one of the effects of not sleeping as it increases blood pressure and increases inflammatory chemicals.
- High Blood Pressure- If you sleep less than 5 hours a day, then there are high chances of an increase in blood pressure.
If you are also trapped in the race of life and ignoring your health completely. Then now is the time. As we have seen, the effects of not sleeping are disastrous. The most effective method to prevent sleep deprivation is to make sure you get sleep of 7-9 hours.